Iceman's Insights

Friday, July 15, 2005

Why are you walking, Bird?

I don't know why I'm starting my blog by continuously discussing birds, but I got to talk about how dumb birds have become. I remember when I was a kid when birds used to fly. While I was walking on the ground, birds were moving around using their wings to soar in the sky. It seemed like a pretty cool thing to me and if I had the opportunity to flap my arms and avoid the traffic rush, I think I'd take advantage of it.
Quick sidenote: I am not a fan of birds, in fact, I have been known to despise these flying torpedoes of fur. It started when I was a child and I was out in the yard one day, minding my own business pretending I was Leonardo(the turtle not the artist) fighting Shredder. A bird just so happened to be enjoying the berry buffet that my neighbor had left for him in his garden. He then deviously looked over at the idiotic kid in the next yard who was pretending to order pizza while busting out some of the most awkward karate moves known to bird. I can see him now chirping over to one of his bird pals with a grin " Watch this!" Then takes off, lines himself up, figuring out windspeed and velocity, and squeezing in to release the berry feast upon my head. I, being the dignified 6 or 7 year old, screamed bloody murder. My father being the sincere parent comes around the corner of the house and begins hysterically laughing at his son who looks like he had just gotten out of the Smuckers' family pool. After a while, he calmed his laughing to a mere giggle and took me inside and washed me up. I had found nothing of this to be funny. The idea that all I could see was a sort of purplish gunky bird leftover suprise out of my eyes was quite irritating to me. After being cleaned up, I then plotted my revenge, grabbed a stick and a rock, and hid under our carport for the rest of the afternoon in preparation for its return which never came.
Today, birds tempt the little angry boy inside of me. Instead of flying when anything moving comes at them, they now stop, ponder the meaning of life, do some multiplication, say their ABC's, and then slowly WALK out of the way. Apparently some of them try an extra step, by the number of birds I've seen lying on the road lately. This seems to be a phenomenon that has happened in the past few years in the bird world. Some of the birds must have gotten together at the annual Summit and reached a verdict that they had used too many Frequent flyer miles and that they should join the rest of creation by walking. I am afraid that this phenomenon is leaving the future generation to be lazy and maybe even worse not realizing that they can fly and that this is a tremendous ability that has been given to them. What if birds are beginning to forget that flying is an ability that they have and that it is something extremely special. Now, this does give more opportunities to swerve and earn some points(joking). You may be wondering where I'm going with this, but hopefully not.
How many times in our lives do we look around at everyone else and see how their doing things and conform? How often in our christianity do we see a successful christian that is great at something and try to repeat what that person is? God made everyone special and he has given us unique abilities that we can serve him through them. Ministry is not just for people who can speak, lead worship songs, or pray beautiful prayers. Ministry is about how we use our gifts to serve our Lord and others in our own unique and beautiful way. Birds need to realize that though walking works well for us, that they have the great ability to fly. Are you walking like everyone else when you could be using your wings to fly?

2 Comments:

  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Hi Ryan!=-D

    lol

     
  • At 6:31 AM, Blogger Ryan said…

    hey anna i think you might be one of the first to actually read my blog. Thanks and I'm sorry!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home